Gastric balloons are silicone weight-loss devices filled with saline and the procedure is reversible and non-surgical! Gastric balloons are placed inside the stomach endoscopically. Once placed in your stomach, the gastric balloon will reduce the amount of food your stomach can hold—allowing you to feel full more quicklyAt Minimally Invasive and Bariatrics Surgery (MIB), we are one of the leading practices in South Florida offering gastric balloons for weight loss.
How Do Gastric Balloons Work?
The purpose of a gastric balloon is to kick start your weight-loss journey. It also enhances the maintainability of your long-term weight-loss goals. Gastric balloons are non-surgical and less invasive than bariatric surgery.
Deflated, the soft silicone gastric balloon is inserted into the stomach where it is inflated using a sterile saline solution or a special gas. The balloon system will remain in a patient’s stomach for up to six months. The addition of a gastric balloon in the stomach will promote the feeling of fullness, decreasing the feeling of hunger.
After introducing a gastric balloon to a patient’s stomach, the patient must follow a customized dietary and exercise regimen as determined by their doctor. Along with a gastric balloon, a patient’s strict diet and behavior modification play an important role in weight-loss success.
Do I Qualify for a Gastric Balloon?
If you answer “yes” to all the questions below, you may qualify!
- Are you between the ages 18 and 60?
- Do you have a BMI between 30 and 40 kg/m2?
- Are you without esophageal injuries or problems with bowels and intestines?
- Can you refrain from becoming pregnant during treatment?
- Have you attempted to lose weight via non-surgical methods with no success?
- Are you aware of the risks, side effects, and complications?
- Do you agree to make the necessary lifestyle changes?
- Can you commit to a healthy and active lifestyle?
Advantages of Gastric Balloons:
- Feel fuller with less food!
- The minimally-invasive procedure does not require a hospital stay.
- Your intestines are not rerouted.
- Patients generally lose 25 to 75 pounds by the end of 6 months.
- Gastric balloons can improve obesity-related health issues like diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.
- Along with a healthy lifestyle, patients can lose weight and keep the weight off.
Disadvantages of Gastric Balloons:
- Gastric discomfort, nausea and vomiting
- Pain in the back or abdomen
- Gastro–esophageal reflux or indigestion
Before the Placement:
Follow the two-week pre-procedure diet as prescribed. Also, don’t eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight before your procedure—otherwise, your procedure will be cancelled. Chewing gum or taking certain medications may also result in a cancelation of your procedure.
Day of Placement:
After you are sedated, your doctor will use an endoscope—a tool used to view the organs via a camera lens and a tube—to inspect your stomach. If your doctor observes no abnormalities, they will proceed to place a deflated gastric balloon into your stomach through your mouth.
After insertion, the balloon is inflated with a saline solution through a small tube attached to the gastric balloon. Your doctor will then remove this small tube. The valve connecting the gastric balloon and the small tube will self-seal. Placement takes approximately 25 minutes. After which, you will be monitored by one of our experienced weight-loss surgeons, and then released.
1-2 days after the balloon is placed in the stomach, patients are generally able to return to work.
Recovery is painless; however, some patients experience nausea and gastric discomfort. This is normal because your body is adjusting to the balloon. Do not hesitate to ask your doctor or nurse about any issues you experience.
Our team at Minimally Invasive and Bariatrics Surgery will be by your side at every step of the way. Attend follow-up visits and stick to the dietary and exercise regimen you and your doctor have discussed.
The gastric balloon will be removed from your stomach in six months or less. With continued commitment to leading a healthy lifestyle, aided by your experience with a gastric balloon, significant weight loss can be achieved and maintained.